Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tonight Was Even BETTER! Smashing Pumpkins 11/16/07 Fox Theatre, Atlanta, GA...I Got My STARLA!


Today
Stand Inside Your Love
That's The Way (My Love Is)
Drown
Bring The Light
Tarantula
Starla
United States
33 (acoustic)
1979 (acoustic)
To Sheila
Cherub Rock
Ava Adore
Zero
Shame
Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings
Heavy Metal Machine
w/ Iron Man
w/ On The Road Again
w/ I Love Rock and Roll

encore:
Pomp and Circumstances
Rocket

encore:
Doomsday Clock
Lucky 13

encore:
With Every Light

Well, as you can see from the set list, the show was longer and clearly better. Last nights show was hard to beat..but, somehow, they did it!

I made some friends before the show. I was apparently famous last night for wearing the 666 shirt...a girl, who waited for her boyfriend to go away, chatted up a conversation with me about the shirt I wore last night. We talked like old Smashing Pumpkins friends. It was awesome...then her boyfriend, who's head was shaved bald just like Billy Corgan came back and she didn't talk as much...so I quickly began a conversation with both of them, trying to reassure her Mr. Clean boyfriend that I meant no harm. They were really good people...period. I really liked both of them. Funny though, they were in their early 20's...like 21 and 22. Funny because when asked WHEN I bought the shirt, I told them the truth, "about 14 years ago". Ummm, that puts them at the age of 7 or so when I bought it! They were from North Carolina, and they had gotten screwed when they drove down here for the initial concerts and found out, after the 6 hour drive, that the shows were going to be re-scheduled. Luckily they were able to come back for the new dates. I keep using pronouns to describe 'them' because I never got their names. I'll remember them next time though for sure.

As far as the show:

Literally, all of my favorites (well, my favorites they are playing on this tour) were there. Highlights for me were Stand Inside Your Love, Starla, 33, To Sheila, Ava Adore, Zero, Shame, Rocket, Doomsday Clock, and Lucky 13. HOLY CRAP! I couldn't have picked a better set list to follow up the remarkable show they put on last night.

Both Atlanta shows were a little over 2 1/2 hours, whereas the majority of the shows this tour (following the residency dates) were around the 2 hour mark. Hell, the Athens, GA show was barely 2 hours...and at the time, I thought THAT show was the shiznit!

Other great moments were after To Sheila and after Shame, where Billy added a LOT of extra guitar soloing. BADASS once again!

Funny moment: After the second song (Stand Inside Your Love), Billy says, "Atlanta? You have the WORST traffic!" Crowd goes wild in agreement. Corgan, "It's fucking terrible! I should write a song about that!...The Nightmare of Atlanta!" Crowd goes nuts. The traffic before the show was pretty freakin ridiculous. Made me wonder where Billy was and what he was doing as to get caught up in hating the traffic. I'm sure the traffic in Chicago isn't any better.

They haven't done 3 encores in a while, but they did here. These 2 shows in Atlanta were easily the best ones, as far as the set lists suggest, on the entire tour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i really dig your blog; found it through the sp site (i'm what_noisy_cats_are_we on there). I saw the band the sunday night in dallas and it was absolutely incredible in every way. I got a chance to talk to billy and tell him that I'm the girl who did the art/layout for his myspace, and he was so nice, thanking me and complimenting my work... one of the biggest highlights of my life, obviously. Like you, I got a pick that he tossed to me (not into the crowd, but right into my hand that was reaching out over the barricade, it was a pretty cool moment as well). It's been a few days now, and i just can't stop thinking about that night. It was my first time seeing them since february of 1997; i really hope I won't have to wait that long to see them again!

GubyWonka! said...

Hi Sam!:
I absolutely LOVE the way you write. I was on your profile in smashingpumpkins.com and as the curious cat that I am, I finished reading your blog, which was a good surprise.
Really funny your story about your shirt. My first Pumpkin shirt was the classical ZERO one that my mom gave me in my 15th birthday. I wear it to make gymnastics in school, Christmas, birthdays, mom's day, dad's day, tree's day and for no reason whatsoever because I was proud of wearing it (or something...) Short story, my shirt wasn't black anymore, was grey with a lot of holes. I really miss that shirt...
Please, excuse my clumsy english,
I'll read you later and have a nice day =)

PS: btw, in the Pumpkins's site I'm 'FaithLiesInTheWaysOfSin' (Yeah, I know, the longest nick EVER ¬¬)


It's Only a Blog

my name is Sam. if you're here, please leave a comment and say hi, tell me how wrong i am, or where the nearest bridge you think i should jump off is. personally, i come here after some issue or concern has taken control, leaving me out in the cold with no other option. i urge you to do the same. i may not like what you have to say, but we all have to remember...it's only a blog. if you like what you find here, just know...stay with me long enough and it's highly likely i will offend you. that being said, thank you for visiting and i hope you come back soon.

Search This Blog